To print this article, all you need is to be registered or login on Mondaq.com.
Do you want to be Egyptian? In this article, we will discuss all
requirements to obtain Egyptian Citizenship
The requirements to obtain Egyptian citizenship:
Egyptian Law 140 of 2019 sets out the controls for granting
Egyptian citizenship to a foreigner. Five investment programs have
been developed to facilitate obtaining Egyptian citizenship. A unit
at the Cabinet, which shall be responsible for granting citizenship
to foreigners, shall be established in the Council of Ministers.
The Unit shall include representatives of the Ministries of Foreign
Affairs, Interior, Investment and International Cooperation and the
concerned security authorities.
The citizenship application shall be submitted at the Unit’s
headquarters or on its website. However, the application shall be
completed with the required information and documents, after paying
a fee of $10,000 or its equivalent in EGP, to be paid by bank
transfer from abroad.
The Unit shall examine the application and decide on it in
principle, within a maximum of three months from the date of its
submission, taking into account national security
In the event of the initial approval of the application by the
Prime Minister, the citizenship applicant shall be granted the
right to temporary residence in Egypt for 6 months, to complete the
procedures, data, and documents necessary to issue a final decision
regarding the application.
The Unit shall complete the examination of the application and
present its final recommendation in this regard in light of
national security considerations to the Prime Minister for his
final decision. All of this shall be conducted within a maximum of
three months from the date of completing the aforementioned data
Programs stipulated in Law 140 of 2019 are as follows:
- Direct income of $250,000.
An amount of $ 250,000 shall be deposited, by a bank transfer
from abroad as direct income (grant) to the State’s public
treasury. The amount is non-refundable.
- Purchasing a property from the State with a minimum of
Purchasing property owned by the State or by other public legal
persons with an amount of no less than $500,000 transferred from
abroad. If the property is disposed of before the lapse of five
years from the date of acquisition, to retain the Egyptian
nationality, an amount of $250,000 shall be deposited to the CBE,
by a bank transfer from abroad, as direct revenues to the
state’s public treasury. This amount is non-refundable.
- Establishment of an investment project with a minimum of
Establishing or participating in an investment project with no
less than $400,000 transferred from abroad, with a contribution
rate of no less than 40% of the project’s capital. If the
investment project is liquidated or suspended, or the applicant
disposes of it or their share before the lapse of five years from
the date of the operation of the enterprise, to retain the Egyptian
nationality, an amount of $250,000 shall be deposited to the CBE
upon a bank transfer from abroad, being direct revenues to the
State’s public treasury. This amount is non-refundable.
- A cash deposit of one million dollars for three years.
An amount of one million dollars shall be deposited by bank
transfer from abroad, to a special account with the CBE. This
amount shall be deemed as a deposit to be refunded after three
years in EGP, at the exchange rate announced by the CBE on the date
of redemption, not exceeding the price on the date of deposit, and
- A cash deposit of $750,000 for five years.
An amount of $750,000 shall be deposited by bank transfer from
abroad, to a special account with the CBE. This amount shall be
deemed as a deposit to be refunded in EGP, after five years, at the
exchange rate announced by the CBE on the date of redemption, not
exceeding the price on the date of deposit, and without
Documents Required for obtaining Egyptian Citizenship:
- The original application for obtaining Egyptian citizenship and
- Copy of a transfer deed from abroad of administrative fees
($10,000 or its equivalent) to the CB, the Presidency of the
Council of Ministers, and the Nationality Applications Examination
- A copy of the passport with the original nationality of the
- A copy of the passport(s) of another nationality for the
applicant (repeated as per the number).
- The original birth certificate of the applicant or an official
- A recent personal photo of the applicant.
- A declaration by the applicant of other nationalities they
- A copy of the wife’s passport with the original
- A copy of the wife’s passport(s) of another nationality
(repeated as per the number).
- A copy of the marriage contract.
- A copy of the passport (or birth certificate or identity card)
for minor children (repeated as per the number).
- The original criminal status sheet from the Egyptian
- An official certificate of the movements of the applicant
issued by the country of origin.
- The original official certificate of the movements of the
applicant issued by the country of permanent residence five years
before the date of the application.
- The original of an official certificate issued by the
applicant’s home country proving that the applicant has not
been convicted of a felony or a freedom-restricting penalty for a
crime against honor, certified by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign
- If the investor owns shares (stocks) in any of the companies,
please attach a copy of the commercial register or the
companies’ journal, a copy of the company’s tax card, and
copies of the investor’s ownership contracts for any property
inside Egypt and copies of car licenses that he owns.
- The original official certificate of the result of the medical
examination of the applicant (provided during the residency
- The original investment program completion document, to be
submitted during the residency period.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general
guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought
about your specific circumstances.
POPULAR ARTICLES ON: Immigration from Egypt