December 5, 2023

Immigration Marriage

Feel Good With Immigration

canada: Everything you need to know about bringing your partner to Canada

Last year, over 10,000 Canadians sponsored their spouses from India, data released by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) showed.

10,715, to be exact.

To check if you’re eligible to immigrate, Click here

Overall, more than 64,000 spouses, common-law partners, and conjugal partners were sponsored for Canadian immigration in 2021. This makes Indians the largest beneficiaries of Canada’s Spousal and Common-law Sponsorship program.

To qualify for the program,

  • Spouses need to be married to their sponsor. Virtual marriages are not recognized, so the wedding ceremony needs to be in-person.
  • Common-law partners need to demonstrate that they have lived together for at least 12 months.
  • Conjugal partners are living outside the country and have been together for at least one year. They need to prove there are legal or social barriers preventing them from getting married or living together.

You can be a sponsor if:

  • You are at least 18 years of age
  • A Canadian citizen, permanent resident living in Canada, or person registered under the Canadian Indian Act
  • You live in Canada or are a Canadian citizen planning to return to the country
  • You are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • You can provide for your basic needs, those of your spouse or partner and, if applicable, those of dependent children

As a sponsor you must:

  • Be able to support your partner financially;
  • Make sure they will not require social assistance from the government.

How much does it cost to sponsor your spouse or partner?

Sponsorship Fee $75
Principal applicant processing fee $475
Right of Permanent Residence Fee $500
Biometrics (fingerprints and photo) $85
Dependent children $150 for each child
Total $ 1,135

If you live in Quebec or intend to live in Quebec when permanent residence is issued, an additional fee of $289 CAD will also be required.

« Back to recommendation stories

Can you sponsor your same-sex spouse or partner?

Since Canada recognizes same-sex marriages and relationships, you can sponsor your partner, as long as both parties meet all the eligibility criteria. If you are married and the event took place outside of Canada, it must be legally recognized in the country where it took place.

Documents you need to submit to prove your relationship

  • Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation Questionnaire
  • Birth certificates, marriage certificates or adoption records of any children you and your common-law partner have together
  • Photos of you and your common-law partner that show your relationship
  • Documents proving that you are recognized as common-law partners of each other, such as employment or insurance benefits
  • Proof of shared expenses between you and your partner
  • Proof of your relationship (letters, emails, social media)

How can you apply?

The application process will require you to submit two applications at the same time:

  • Your application to sponsor your spouse or partner
  • Your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application

The process:

Step 1. Download the application package found on the government website.

Step 2. Pay the online application fee, which includes the following:

  • Processing fees for all persons included in the application
  • Right of Permanent Residence Fee
  • Biometrics fees
  • Other third-party fees, if applicable

Step 3. Submit your application by following the submission instructions provided in the guide you downloaded.

Step 4. Submit the required supporting documents when prompted.

NRI-QR-labelET Online